Skip to content

terms and conditions

How to hire a van

What do I need to hire a van?

We need to see all the following documentation at the time of hire:

Driving Licence

A current full driving licence held for a minimum of 12 months (endorsements permitting).

Your Drivers Record 

You will need a recent print out of your driver’s record or a check code from the DVLA on collection of the vehicle, You can obtain these by visiting the following DVLA website –

Secondary form of identification

This must be a recent utility bill, bank or building society statement. Anything official that contains you current address. A passport is not acceptable as it does not contain your address.

How old do I have to be?

You must be aged between 21 and 70. However, if you are over 71 we can probably still hire you a van, subject to an insurance check. To avoid disappointment, we would advise you to call us in advance for more information.

What does the price include?

The prices we show, or quote, are inclusive of – VAT, INSURANCE and UNLIMITED MILEAGE in the daily rental price, there are no hidden extras.

How much is the Deposit?

Dayoak do not charge or ask for any deposits. You do have a responsibility excess in the event of any accidents. (See below) However we do reserve the right to change this.

How much is the insurance excess?

Insurance excess is £500 for all hires. You are liable to pay the insurance excess for any damage or loss sustained to the vehicle or any 3rd party in the event of an accident. Please read how this can be reduced below. Additional drivers can be added to the insurance for £20 per additional driver.

What is Collision Damage Waiver or CDW?

Collision damage waiver – or CDW, as it is also known, reduces the insurance excess from £500 to £250. This option can be taken out for an additional fee at the time of hire. The cost for the CDW is £10 per day

Is the windscreen covered?

Windscreen damage is the hirer’s responsibility

Are tyres / punctures covered?

The hirer is responsible for any punctures / tyre damages etc.. The lessor will ensure that all tyres are maintained and kept within the legal road limits and are roadworthy

Overhead Damage

Overhead damage is not covered by any insurance excess as this is due to driver negligence. Any overhead damage will be charged at full cost of repair.

How can I pay?

The hire charge can be paid by, credit or debit card. The insurance excess must be pre authorized on a credit or debit card on collection of the vehicle.

What if I am late returning the vehicle, or I wish to extend the hire?

All hires periods are on an 8.00 to 8.00 or 17.00 to 17.00. Basis – Please consider the hirer that has booked the vehicle after you. It is very important that you contact us and let us know if you are going to be late. We can then advise you of any additional charges and if required can arrange payment and insurance cover.

What if I’m going into the congestion charge zone or using the Dartford Crossing?

It is the hirer’s responsibility to arrange payment for all charges of this kind. There is a £30 administration charge for any penalty charges received.

The London Congestion charge can be paid by visiting the following link:

The Dartford crossing charge can be paid by visiting the following link:

What happens if I break down?

All our vehicles are covered by full nationwide breakdown assistance. In the unlikely event of the vehicle breaking down please contact us on any of the telephone numbers stated on your rental agreement.

What do I do when I come back?

It’s easy. Just return the vehicle to the depot of collection, where you will be met by a member of staff (during office open hours) who will check the vehicle over for mileage, fuel & damage. We advise vehicles are returned to us with the same amount of fuel as on collection, any fuel used will be charged for. If a vehicle is returned out of hours, it is still the hirer’s responsibility until booked in by a member of staff.